If you live near the Dunn Loring/Merrifield metro station (Westbriar, Metro Place, Wilton House and Halstead at the Metro) you are probably curious about what the plans are for the area.
As we have written about extensivelythe Dunn Loring Merrifield Metro area is seeing a massive redevelopment these days. From being a patchwork of new developments (Halstead at the Metro, Wilton House, Westbriar etc) and old light commercial businesses (Remington Mulch, Car repair shops, towing companies etc) it is now turning into a viable and walkable town center destination of its own.
Notable current projects include:
- Route 29 and Gallows Road intersection construction to make the congested area more accessible.
- Mosaic District with entertainment, dining, shopping and living (EYA Town Homes)
- Dunn Loring/Merrifield Metro redevelopment to include a Harris Teeter
Apart from the planned Harris Teeter the new development called Halstead Square is quickly taking shape off Gallows Road near the Marriott (at the old Remington Mulch location.) It is a mixed office/retail development that will bring some badly needed shopping and entertainment choices to within walking distance.
According to Streetsense the community will consist of:
• 50,000 SF of Retail Space
• 854 Residential Apartment (rentals only – 242 units in Phase 1)
• 150 Room Boutique Kimpton Hotel
• 668 Dedicated Retail Parking Spaces (200 for retail in Phase 1)
• Delivery Phase One: Third Quarter 2011
If you are looking to purchase a condo in the new development it seems you are out of luck (as it will be rental only.) However, there are plenty of other great homes for sale in the immediate are – see our Top 8 Merrifield Communities To Benefit From the Redevelopment.